Summer is the season associated with weekend getaways, playing in the pool, indulging in outdoor sports etc. It is always fun to go out but the treacherous sun can have hazardous effect on our health. So it is important to stay safe also. Some of the illnesses during summer time are sunstroke and heat exhaustion.
Sunstroke is also known as heat stroke happens when after prolonged exposure to sun the body stops keeping its cool. The person suffers from high fever, the skin gets red and dry. Headache, nausea, vomiting and dizziness are some of the symptoms of heat stroke. Sun stroke is a serious medical condition and should be treated immediately. Measures should be taken to cool down the body. If the body temperature is too high, see that it does not stoop very low.
Staying out in sun also causes heat exhaustion. The body tends to collapse because there major fluid loss in the body from sweating and drinking less water. It is not necessary that one can experience heat exhaustion on sunny days only. Also there is no sign of fever. Heat exhaustion starts with profuse sweating or perspiration of the body. Other symptoms which can be experienced way before fainting are anxiety, fatigue and weakness.
By taking simple measures both heat exhaustion and sun stroke can be easily avoided. These measures and tips are mentioned below-
1. Avoid working out when the sun in on top of your head. It makes your body sweat a lot and there is a loss of fluid.
2. Increase your fluid intake with minerals, specifically salt. Whenever you take water add half a teaspoon of salt in it.
3. Wear comfortable and airy clothes. This is because the sweat can easily evaporate giving a cooling effect. Try going for fabrics like cotton and linen and other natural fabrics.
4. Avoid alcohol as it affects the body’s ability to respond to heat appropriately.
5. Children and old people are more susceptible to heat exhaustion so they should avoid the sun. Even woman with low blood pressure problem should avoid going out when the sun is strong.
If also a person faints or is about to faint, lay them down and rub their feet. It actually helps. Then immediately call a doctor.
So by following these steps we can stay safe and also enjoy the summer season.