Eating right foods is essential to maintain the health of your eyes. The onset of a lot of ailments related to eyes which can be lowered by eating foods with right vitamins.
- Antioxidants- Antioxidants help in preventing many diseases that affect immune system, heart and even eyes. Vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin A are those antioxidants, which help in preventing cataracts, age-related macular degeneration and other diseases related to eyes. Antioxidants are found in various vegetables and fruits. In fact, highly pigmented vegetables and fruits have a high concentration of the antioxidants. So henceforth remember to choose those vegetables and fruits which are more colorful.
- Vitamin A- This is an antioxidant found in food products made from animal source like eggs and liver, fruits, vegetables like spinach and carrots. Vitamin A promotes proper functioning of the retina. It also helps in preventing night blindness and also helps your eyes to adapt between darkness and the bright light. Vitamin A helps in reducing the risk of age-related macular degeneration and also the formation of cataracts. Since age-related macular degeneration and cataracts are the major causes of visual impairment it’s essential to get sufficient amount of vitamin A in your diet to improve your eye’s health and beauty.
- Vitamin C- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that strengthens your muscles and bones, immune system, keeps your teeth and gums healthy and reduces the risk of many diseases alongside keeping your eyes healthy. This antioxidant also helps in reducing the risk of age-related macular degeneration and the formation of cataracts. As we all know, vitamin C is found in abundance in citrus fruits, green peppers, broccoli, strawberry and sweet potatoes.
- Vitamin E- Vitamin E is an antioxidant that can not only prevent cataract formation but also delay its growth. In fact, consuming vitamin E can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease and provide protection against many types of cancers. Vitamin E is found in green leafy vegetables, nuts and cereals.
- Selenium and Zinc- Selenium and zinc are the two key minerals that help in oxidation process. These minerals also help in absorbing antioxidants. Hence providing sufficient amount of these minerals to your body will help in preventing the eye diseases. Zinc can be found in yoghurt, cheese, red meat and even in certain cereals. Selenium can be found in walnuts, rice, enriched breads, macaroni, cheese and rice.
Know that we know the right kind of foods that help in maintaining healthy eyes, increase the intake of these foods and keep your eyes healthy.